Sunday, June 19, 2011

Discalced and Defrocked




There was a time when femininity was the cloak. Dark stockings hid hairy legs, and long satin blouses hid hairy arms, a hairy man become woman in simulacrum.

and then summertime, was the time to put away toys, and be one of the boys.

Then there was a time when masculinity was a cloak. Dark pants hide hairless legs and long dress shirts hide hairless arms and breasts and the effeminate becomes the masculine in simulacrum.

and then summertime. Shoes become sandals, and the flecks of red in hastily scrubbed nails are visible, and hairless legs and arms and rings and bracelets and long teased hair.

So what is the cloak, with closets full of skirts and shirts and blouses and pants, panties and y-fronts, and bras and stockings and socks. A corset makes a waist, and loose shirts hide breasts, and tight panties hide other things. But who is hidden and who remains in view?

in winter, the clothes are everything. boy clothes / girl clothes... in skirts you flirt.
Summer with so few clothes....

Thinking about a couple of days hanging out in an ashram or a zen monastery in mid-july. Almost always my genderification is defined by what I am doing and who I am spending time with. But this is a solo trip to do something I never do, so ... What should I wear? I mean it is spiritual renewal... What does one wear to enlightenment? frocks? socks? cloques? Nada?

And will I be in a dorm with men? I am planning to go to a sort of an ancient greek party this week. I have my peplos/tunic picked out, and it is not very different from a toga. And all the Eastern types are partial to robes as well... Maybe I can use that as my mantra as well as my mantle...
toga... toga... toga....toga....

No comments:

Post a Comment